New York Chapter: Summer Social at Coe HallRegister Now!
Friday, June 19, 2015; 5:30-8:30pm
Join the NY Chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art for a festive Summer Social at historic Coe Hall on Long Island’s verdant North Shore! We will meet in for cocktails, music and hors d’oeuvres in the Great Hall, followed by a presentation by noted local Author and Historian, Paul Mateyunas, on the architectural history of the area.
Planting Fields, the former estate of insurance magnate William Robertson Coe and Standard Oil heiress Mai Rogers Coe is one of the few remaining Gold Coast estates on Long Island’s North Shore that retains its original 409 acres as well as its historic buildings and landscape. Rolling lawns, formal gardens, hiking trails and specimen plantings, as well as the Camellia Greenhouse and the Main Greenhouse, with its unique seasonal displays, are a treat for visitors year round.
Coe Hall contains many original pieces and furnishings once belonging to the Coe family, including the restored Louis XVI Reception Room. The mostly Elizabethan style interior of the Tudor Revival mansion is a showcase of artistry and craftsmanship in its wood and stone carvings, ironwork, 13th – 19th century stained glass windows and original commissioned murals by American artists Robert H. Chanler and Everett Shinn.
Speaker: Paul J. Mateyunas, author of North Shore Long Island Country Houses 1890-1950 and Long Island’s Gold Coast
Cost: $35 for ICAA members; $50 for the general public
Location: The Great Hall and Gardens at Coe Hall Planting Fields Arboretum, 1395 Planting Fields Rd, Oyster Bay, NY, 11771
- From Mid-Town Tunnel:
- For those wishing to arrive prior to 5:00pm to tour the gardens, there will be an additional $8.00 parking fee. After 5:00pm there is no fee.
- Via the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station:
- Take the 3:27 pm train on the either the Babylon or Port Jefferson Line
- Transfer at Jamaica Station to the Oyster Bay Branch
- Step off the train at the Oyster Bay Station
- Oyster Bay Taxi (516-931-2929) from the station to Planting Fields Arboretum 1395 Planting Fields Rd, Oyster Bay